October 12, 2009

Embracing uniqueness

We just went to a birthday party for a dear family friend who turned 80. I have known her all my life and my kids call her Grandma Jean. She is a precious soul that has touched so many. Time, these days, has gotten away from us and the urgency of every day things has superceded the important things. We haven't been for a visit in over a year. Something that I'm not proud of.
The morning we were getting ready for her party, my daughter Tressa jumps up from the table and announces she's going to give her a card. I took a deep breath because I needed to get ready and her spelling is atrocious so whenever writing is involved I have to sit with her to help her spell correctly. By the time she had found the perfect card I had begun to get ready and forgotten all about it. She came in the bathroom and announced she was done and needed an envelope. The first thought that came into my mind was "I hope she wrote it in pencil". She went to watch Sponge Bob as I read her card.




"Happy Birthday!
I haven't seen you in years! Know I'm in fourth grade?
But right now
I'm right here
On your birthday.
From, Tressa
Look on the back ->"
On the back of her card was taped a plastic heart bracelet.
I balled.
I balled because of her sincerity and innocence,
because of how deeply her words rang through my ears
and straight to my heart,
because of my stupidity,
and because she gave an 80 year old woman a platic heart bracelet.
When I regained my composure, I asked Tressa what made her decide to give Jean the bracelet and she said,
"I have so many and I wanted her to have something pretty to wear for her party."
It's unbelievable the way He speaks to us.
I sat down with her and told her what an amazing thing she did in writing this card. She said, "How many words did I spell wrong?" I cried as I told her that it didn't matter.
My actions could have caused her to dislike writing all together.
She is a gifted writer.
I told her someday she'd grow up and write cards for Hallmark.
She thought that would be great.
Don't let the urgent supercede the important.

No comments:

Post a Comment